4 Best Apps for Increasing Your Data Literacy Skills
Data literacy has always been a valuable skill – although in years past, many employees could get by without knowing much about data. With the increasing emphasis employers are placing on data collection and analysis, data literacy is no longer optional for professionals to master; it’s a skill you now absolutely need for career success.
Who Needs to Be Data Literate?
If you’re wondering who needs to understand data, the short answer is “everyone”. Let’s take a look at a few examples:
- Managers in every industry, including retail, manufacturing, healthcare, finance, energy, agriculture, media, transportation, hospitality and education, need access to reliable data to inform their daily business decisions.
- Government officials need data to effectively govern, negotiate with allies, prioritize the allocation of resources and plan for emergencies.
- Doctors, nurses and other healthcare professionals need data skills to understand and implement newly developed data-use guidelines that will help them improve outcomes for their patients. They can also use data to improve efficiency and reduce wastefulness in their healthcare practices.
- Journalists, bloggers and content marketers need to be fluent in the language of data to clearly and accurately present the stories they report.
- Higher education students engaged in virtually all courses of study will need to refine their data literacy skills. Data competency is now critical for more than just math and statistics majors. Cutting-edge MBA programs have updated their curriculum to teach their students the core principles of how to make data-driven business decisions. An example of this is James Cook University’s global MBA program, where data literacy is a key component of the course material.
This is not a comprehensive list, but it gives you an idea of how pervasive data-centric solutions are becoming in virtually every industry in the world. No matter what your job description is, you’re likely to find that opportunities will open up for you if your data analysis skills are top notch.
If you’re convinced that upskilling is worth spending time on right now, you’ll definitely want to check out our picks for 4 useful apps that can help you refine your data literacy skills:
This app will help you learn about statistical concepts including normal distributions, probability distributions, estimation definitions, and more. The app is intended to be an introduction to statistics for students, but anyone could use it for gaining an overview of important statistics basics.
If you want to calculate the probability of a particular occurrence happening, this is the app for you. However, you’ll need to have some background knowledge in probability theory for this app to be useful to you.
This app will help you calculate sample sizes and perform basic statistical tests. You can use it for a range of purposes including basic statistics or real-world scientific studies.
This is a sophisticated app that will be most useful to you if an organization you work with already has significant quantities of data you need to visualize. This app is a mobile-friendly version of the Tableau software product, which is intended to help the public easily understand data.
There you have it: Those are our recommendations for 4 useful apps to help you refine your data literacy skills. Using these apps is likely to improve your numerical competency and possibly even make your job easier as a result.