Spell Better - Literacy Support for Dyslexia, Dysgraphia, and Low Vision
Spell Better will help English language learners focus on expressing their thoughts in written English. The app offers word predictions based on the words students have typed and offers spelling suggestions for misspelled words. For additional assistance, students may use the built-in dictionary and speak tool to help them select appropriate words for their writing.
Although this app was not developed specifically for English language learners, it is the perfect tool to help them develop their English writing skills. The specific features we love include: context based word predictions, spell check, a speak feature to pronounce words and phrases, a built-in dictionary, and the ability to email or copy the created text.
From the Developer
Are you an educator working with struggling writers with Dyslexia? Imagine offering your learners a beautifully crafted assistive writing toolkit that combines the most effective writing supports in one easy-to-use and inviting package.
Spell Better dramatically improves spelling by offering powerful word prediction, advanced text-to-speech, and dyslexic spell checking. It delivers the best possible supports for lasting improvements in writing success.
Special Educators feel a palpable improvement in the energy and tenor of a classroom while using Spell Better with their learners.
- Helps reluctant and struggling writers get started
- Increases length and depth of writing
- Strengthens organization and composition skills
- Builds confidence and improves self-expression
- Leaves lasting improvements in core spelling and grammar skills
- Word prediction & auto-completion
- Context and phonetic spell checker
- Text-to-Speech with word highlighting
- Fonts optimized for Dyslexia
- Integrated English dictionary (with IPA symbols)
- Audio pronunciation for all words
- Color-coded Keyboard (Vowels vs. Consonants)
- Insert photos and use rich text formatting (bold, italics, underline)
- Three different vocabulary size settings
- Easily and quickly learns new custom vocabulary
- Customize background colors and text size
- Export as PDF, Email, Printing, Messages, Clipboard and more.
- Dedicated Undo/Redo buttons for accidental deletes
- Accepts both taps and swipes on word prediction buttons
- VoiceOver support with detailed labels and hints
- Integrated Speech Recognition (speech-to-text)
SPELL CHECK EXAMPLES
- Real-word spelling errors ("peace" > "piece")
- Phonetic spelling erorrs ("preshius" > "precious", "peturs" > "pictures")
- Word boundary errors ("verynice" > "very nice")
- Skipped and repeated letters ("probley" > "probably")
- Missed vowels ("Ths is rly amzng" > "This is really amazing")
- Homophone substitutions and other complex orthographic errors
Spell Better will take this sentence:
> I throwed the dall to my cuzin and wnt imside to ahve a peace ofcake.
And correct it to:
> I threw the ball to my cousin and went inside to have a piece of cake.
And it'll do most of the corrections dynamically, as the sentence is being typed.
"Multiple students of mine are now requesting that I bring my iPad to class so they can use this app to complete all of their assignments. These students are generally disengaged and tend to avoid all work requiring them to write/ organize their thoughts and it is so exciting to see how much their enthusiasm increases when given supports such as SpellBetter."
"We did have a chance to try Spell Better and love it! The update came out just in time for our full day iPads in Special Education training we gave yesterday so that we were able to let others know about what a great app it is for word prediction. "
"This is brilliant for my dyslexic pupils and others who struggle to write. It's really useful for homework, too. Great communications with Nanavit [sic] have ironed out my inadequate ability with any ICT! A superb App, thank you!"
TRUSTED & PROVEN FOR WRITING SUCCESS
Spell Better is currently featured by Apple in the Special Education section of the App Store. It is widely used in thousands of schools throughout the US, UK, Australia, and New Zealand.
Spell Better is trusted and recommended by:
- Apple (App Store > Education > Special Education)
- The University of Michigan, Center for the Development of Language & Literacy (dyslexiahelp.umich.edu)
- Pennsylvania Department of Education
- Ministry of Education, New Zealand
- National Disability Coordination Officer Program (NDCO), Australian Government (www.innovation.gov.au)
Get Spell Better today and help your learners achieve success in writing.