Sounds: The Pronunciation App
Sounds: The Pronunciation App is the most comprehensive English pronunciation tool, for both students and teachers. The app is created by Macmillan Education, one of the leading publishers for English learning materials, and will allow users to study, practise and play with pronunciation wherever they are. ‘Based on the best-selling book ‘Sound Foundations’ by pronunciation expert Adrian Underhill, the app features a fully-interactive Phonemic Chart for both British and American English’. The app is flawless and we awarded it with the top EAS Certification of 5 stars.
From the Developer
The ultimate interactive English pronunciation tool, for both students AND teachers. Sounds: The Pronunciation App helps you study, practise and play with pronunciation wherever you are. Based on the best-selling book 'Sound Foundations' by pronunciation expert Adrian Underhill, the app features a fully-interactive Phonemic Chart for both British and American English.
You can look up and listen to words and phrases in the WORDLIST, plus record and compare your own pronunciation. If you’re using a Macmillan coursebook, you can now buy additional wordlists directly inside the app.
PRACTISE your pronunciation reading, writing and listening skills
Test yourself with one of the pronunciation QUIZZES
LEARN with lesson plans, videos and top tips for teachers, and study hints for students
- Interactive Phonemic Chart (British and American English) with high quality audio - tap to hear a sound, or tap and hold to hear the sound and an example word.
- Work in British or American English, and switch between them at any time.
- Vocabulary Wordlist (with over 650 words):
- Phonemic transcriptions and audio
- Record your own pronunciation
- Purchase new wordlists from directly inside the app. Wordlists are available for popular Macmillan coursebooks, as well as topic-based lists. New wordlists feature vocabulary, phrases and audio recordings.
- Turn stress marks on or off to view the primary stress mark in the Wordlist, Practice and Quiz sections.
- Practice Activities (Listen, Read and Write).
- Quizzes (‘3 Minutes’ & '3 Lives' modes) for listening, reading and writing.
- ‘Introduction to the Chart' video featuring Adrian Underhill.
- Three downloadable lesson plans for teaching with the Sounds app.
- Top Ten Tips for Teachers.
- Top Ten Tips for Students.
- ‘Teaching with the Chart' – complete workshop video with Adrian Underhill.