From the Developer
SkyORB is more than a simple star map, it's a collection of 7 tools including a 3D star map, 3D planetarium, ephemeris, search engine, sun clock, point to sky, weather, and more.
We love SkyORB because it not only offers 3D images of the planets and the stars in the sky, along with comets and asteroids, but it also comes a 'point to sky' feature that allows you to aim your handset towards a star or planet and it'll identify it for you.
SkyORB features many functions as a 3D real-time representation of the planets position around the sun, the ability to hold your device and point toward a visible star and planet and reveal the name by tracking the GPS position, compass orientation, the elevation from the gyroscope, warn the user when a phenomenon is occurs as a full moon, a planet really visible, which is worth the observation.
SkyORB is *free* of charge and you can upgrade to the premium version directly from the application to enjoy even more features, as notifications and on-the-cloud backup.
What you will get with SkyORB (Lite version):
- a 3D real-time sky rendering, with tracking from compass and gyroscope,
- Comets and satellites positions, with update from the Web for latest entries,
- Weather forecast from current location,
- Ephemeris including next 60 days astronomy events, including peak day of meteors showers, date of planet elongation and opposition.
- Display day/night terminator on a world map,
- Powerful universal search engine: type few letter and find a matching nebula, constellation, place, planets, exo-planets and more.
- Moon phases with dates, including rise and set times,
- Ability to simulate the sky from any place in the world and even from other planet like Mars
- Ability to move fast forward and backward in time,
- Enhanced for iPad 3rd generation and iPhone 4S. Still compatible from the iPhone 3G/iPod touch 2nd gen.
- Be alerted when a phenomenon (planet at its brightest, full/new moon, eclipse) is occurring with local notifications (can be disabled).