Quiver Education - 3D Coloring App
A 3D colouring application based on augmented reality technology.
Quiver app is a very innovative application supporting both learning and fun in a less usual yet highly interesting way.
The navigational design of the app is quite straightforward and simple. It features three main functions: 1) the user can access and print a range of colouring pages including strange animals, educational series mainly related to geography, biology, two and three dimensional shapes, and cartoon characters. These colouring packs can be printed either directly from the app or through a webpage online. 2) The user can then colour in these pages using normal colouring pencils. 3) By placing the Quiver app on top of a colouring page and pressing the tap button, the colouring page comes to life in the form of an animation. By moving the device that hosts the app around, the user can view the animation from different angles.
The exciting part is that the app does not only allow the preview of different animations but includes certain educational aspects such as quizzes and background information about what is previewed. Hence, the user gets the chance to colour in (that is an optional feature as the app can work perfectly well in cases when the colouring pages are not coloured) and play around with certain animations, find out more information about them and preview the animation from different angles. For example, the animation of Hector's dolphins provides information about the life of this species. Similarly the animation of a volcano comes with a quiz the aim of which is to recognise the different parts of a volcano.
When viewing any given animation the user can zoom it in and out, capture a photo or video record it, pause and resume it. Overall, this app uses successfully the potential of augmented reality and makes a traditional activity - colouring pages - an exciting and very educational experience. It comes in different languages including English, Japanese, Korean, and Spanish and instructions on how to use the app.
Despite the several advantages of this app, I am concerned as to whether children 6-8 years old (target group as advertised on app's website) could easily and effectively handle the device on top of the colouring page, use its different functions, and keep it stable in order to preview the animation from different angles. The presence and guidance of an adult (educator or parent) would definitely help overcome this potential limitation. Otherwise, it might be more useful the app to be promoted for use by older children. In addition, the integration of quizzes is very educational. It would have been more motivating if winning the quiz was accompanied by an oral or visual reward or contributed to unlocking new colouring pages which do not come with the application at the moment.
From the Developer
The original augmented reality coloring app “colAR Mix” is now Quiver!
Responding to popular demand, we are thrilled to introduce Quiver Education! The same magical augmented reality colouring experience, but with a focus on educational content and a one time purchase for a lifetime of content!
Designed with educators in mind, Quiver Education has a greater focus on educational content than the standard Quiver App, with specific pages designed around topics as diverse as biology, geometry, and the planets. The team at Quiver is committed to providing regular content updates to the Quiver Education App, and we’d like to hear from you what pages you’d like to see! You can contact us on email@example.com .
Instead of in-app purchases, Quiver Education has a one time purchase price, and is compatible with the volume purchasing program and educational discounts for schools too! We’ve packed the app with a range of top coloring pages already, and new educational content will become available regularly and free of further charge through app updates.
Coloring pages have never been so much fun! The Quiver Education App combines physical coloring from “back in the day” with state of the art augmented reality technology to bring students an extraordinarily magical and educational experience.
You can find our free pages in the app and on our website (http://www.QuiverVision.com/Education). Save and print the pages directly from the Quiver Education App or from a computer to start enjoying the fun. By using our unmatchable expertise in augmented reality, the Quiver Education App enables students to unleash their inner creativity while learning about a range of subjects.
Every colored page comes to life in its uniquely colored way, giving the artist an immediate and special sense of ownership and pride! Not only is the app incredibly fun, but it is also a great tool for developing skills and knowledge on various topics. Try it out yourself and we are sure you will agree.
Available Quiver Education coloring pages include:
- Quiver characters (Murphy the Sheep, Penfold the Penguin and Ruby the Rabbit).
- Quiver education pages (Earth, Volcano, Flag, and Animal and Plant Cells).
- Amazing Animals of New Zealand (Kea, Hectors Dolphin, Yellow-Eyed Penguin, Kiwi, Giant Weta and the Tuatara).
- The Platonic Solids (all five of the platonic solids, plus a bonus page).
- Original Quiver Content (11 pages, including a dragon, airplane, firetruck and more!)
- Enjoy a traditional physical coloring experience combined with the latest augmented reality technology.
- Watch your artwork magically come to life on your smart device screen.
- View the animation from any angle.
- Interact and play games with the animated characters by touching the screen.
- Educational pages include a quiz to test the user’s knowledge.
- Capture photos and videos of your coloring creations
- Zoom functionality.
- Play and pause the animation when it comes to life.
- Different sound effects associated with each page.
Follow these simple steps to enjoy the magical Quiver Education App experience:
- Visit http://www.QuiverVision.com/Education to find and print out the Quiver Education coloring pages.
- Color in the Quiver coloring pages using your favourite colors.
- Open the Quiver Education App and tap the play button (the button with the Quiver Butterfly logo on it) to open the viewer.
- Look at the colored Quiver coloring page with your smart device camera. Make sure you can see the entire page - it will turn blue to confirm.
- The Quiver coloring page will come to life just the way you colored it.
- The Quiver Education App needs physically printed coloring pages to enjoy the full experience.
- For more information and to print out pages, visit http://www.QuiverVision.com/Education.
- The Quiver Education App only works with QuiverVision Education pages.
- For assistance please contact us at support@QuiverVision.com.