The National History Museum of London's 'NHM Evolution' packages together a quite astounding amount of fossil research and geological information into a very well-presented app. In 'NHM Evolution' there are close to 1000 fossils from over 600 million years to explore in rich detail and in a number of different ways.
From the Developer
A breath-taking flagship app produced in partnership with the Natural History Museum that allows you to take a journey through more than 600 million years of life on Earth. Starting from the first signs of ancient life in Strelley Pool, Western Australia, swipe, pinch and tap the illustrated Timeband to explore at your own speed and find out more about 100 key fossil sites and over 800 creatures and plants that lived there.
The Timeband illustration comprises 100 exquisite, inter-connected artworks that took more than two years to create.
* a dynamic Timeglobe based on a unique data-set, showing how Earth’s tectonic plates have reconfigured through time for every fossil site
* a complete Timeline, with text and audio commentaries for every eon, era and period
* a spell-binding Exhibition of 34 iconic fossils
* 17 individual multi-media treatments explaining the great Events of Earth’s evolutionary past, including snowball glaciations and mass extinctions
* many pinch and expand 360-degree rotations of significant fossils
* pinch and expand, full-frame hi-res views for all 570 images
* 10 tutorial videos from some of the Museum’s leading experts
* A Library of reference materials including 38 biographies of the pioneers of evolutionary theory
A truly compelling, interactive learning tool that brings the amazing facts of evolutionary history to life.
Written (and often spoken) by internationally-acclaimed science writer Douglas Palmer, with support and contributions from the scientists of the world-renowned Natural History Museum, London, NHM Evolution uses state-of-the-art technology to bring you the complete story of our evolving world.