Kodable is a great app for teaching students basic to complex level programme procedures. The app enables teachers to save up to 6 student profiles to maintain a score throughout the levels.
The student can choose a character to roll through the levels and will come across directional, rotational, colour coding and looping procedures. Level 1 eases the student into the app and its progresses nicely through further stages, all but a little repetitive at times.
Where this app really comes into its own is the Teacher Mode where the teacher can share vocabulary, create a class account, manage levels and show a classroom tutorial. We recommend that this is looked at first before you introduce the app to the classroom.
From the Developer
Kodable is a free educational iPad game offering a kid-friendly introduction to programming concepts and problem solving. For kids ages 5 and up, and tools for grownups too!
LOST IN PLACE
The fuzzFamily crashed their spaceship on Smeeborg and need your help to explore the planet's Technomazes. Use your finger to drag and drop instructions for your fuzzes to follow. Then hit Play to watch them roll through the maze with curiosity. BEWARE: Fuzzes are very LOGICAL and will follow every command exactly as you tell them! Get rewarded with stars, coins, and even EXTRA members of the fuzzFamily as you successfully complete mazes.
Beautifully designed with little ones in mind, Kodable comes free with 45 levels of programmable fun! You can unlock additional worlds with in-app purchases, or get them all with our educational app Kodable Class.
Teaching with Kodable or using Kodable in your classroom? Create a free Teacher Account and get access to education features and 25 student profiles! Be sure to check out Kodable Class, our app designed specifically for educational use. For $5/month you can get all of our education features and 50 student profiles.
1) SMEEBORG — (FREE IN KODABLE or with Kodable Class Subscription)
- Learn to solve problems (especially fuzzy ones) in sequential steps
- Include conditional statements like "If this, then that" to do even more
- Add loops: commands that repeat a number of times
- Lead fuzzes through 45 linear & logical labyrinths they'll love
2) FUNCTION JUNCTION — (IN-APP PURCHASE or with Kodable Class Subscription)
- A second world packed with 30 additional mazes
- Extra fuzzes to add to your collection
- Learn to (re)use functions more than once for smarter coding
- Find out what happens when you combine functions and conditions!
3) BUGS BELOW: DEBUGGING MADE FUN — (IN-APP PURCHASE or with Kodable Class Subscription)
- 30 more levels in which you must avoid (or squish) bugs that prevent your Fuzzes from exploring
- Learn to debug by helping the fuzzFamily fix their code
- Use critical thinking to spot problems and prevent future bugs
- Unlock 4 new Fuzzes - diamondFuzz, rubyFuzz, coleFuzz, and the lovable shadowFuzz
4) FUZZY FUN (IN-APP PURCHASE or with Kodable Class Subscription)
- Fun activities to boost all aspects of your child's learning
- Fuzzy Spelling: kids spell key vocabulary words.
- Fuzzy Matching: kids match vocabulary words to symbols used in the game.
WHY CODE WITH KODABLE?
Even before your children can pronounce the word "algorithm" they have an astounding ability to learn how to use them. Today's best programmers fell in love with coding at a young age by experimenting with the concepts taught in Kodable. Understanding the basics of programming empowers your child for the jobs of tomorrow, and expands your child's mind to solve problems today in more intelligent ways.
KODABLE HAS A LOT FOR GROWNUPS, TOO
- Settings to lock and unlock levels for your kids
- Send questions directly to the Kodable team
- Programming resources for grownups teaching kids to code
- Kodable Learning Guide, a full-featured lesson plan for teaching with Kodable. The Smeeborg Learning Guide is free, so check it out in Teacher Mode!