Kids Learn to Read
Cute character Tommy Turtle leads kids into blending letter sounds to form words. Kids Learn to Read is the third in a series of pre-reading and reading apps created by Intellijoy. Kids learn via three games: Learn to Blend, where kids tap letters to hear words sounded out letter by letter; Try Reading, in which kids match easy words (like "cow" and "pig") to pictures; and Make Words, where kids practice spelling by choosing the correct letter on a block to complete words made up of letter blocks. A woman's voice sounds out each letter as it appears on the screen to help kids learn the skill of sounding out letters and letter combinations that they are seeing visually.
From the Developer
Kids Learn to Read is the part of Intellijoy's best-selling reading curriculum series. It is preceded by Kids ABC Letters and Kids ABC Phonics and followed by Kids ABC Trains and Kids Sight Words.
In addition to the three activities in the free version, this paid version has three extra activities - Word Ball, Word Magic and Rocket Words.
Featured at the Google I/O conference, Kids Learn to Read is a delightful game that invites preschool-aged children to blend sounds into words, read and form simple words, identify spoken words and learn word families.
Its six sections include:
- In Magic Letter Bridge kids learn to blend letter sounds into words by moving Tommy the Turtle across the letter bridge as each letter is sounded out and a word is formed and pronounced. Your kids can hand Tommy a skateboard to make him go faster as they become comfortable with blending the sounds.
- With Skateboards and Helmets children practice reading as they are asked to fit Tommy's animal friends with skateboards and helmets.
- In Turn the Blocks kids make words in a way that's fun by turning real-looking blocks with letters on each side until the word is spelled out.
- Through Word Ball children learn to identify spoken words by helping Tommy bat the right ball.
- With Word Magic kids learn about word families as they fill the corresponding pot with potion and watch magic happen
- In Rocket Words children get to practice word families as they assemble and launch a rocket into space
If your children do not know the alphabet sounds yet, we recommend our Kids ABC Phonics app. And if your kids need to learn or practice the names of the letters, try our Kids ABC Letters app.
Every section is designed to let children enjoy success time after time and receive positive reinforcement from the likable teacher, so they want to keep learning. Once your child is involved and happy, you can relax, with the assurance that he or she is having a great time - and learning.