Journey to the Exoplanets
From the Developer
Explore the mysterious planets outside our Solar System in this new immersive iPad app from Scientific American and Farrar, Straus and Giroux.
•APP OF THE WEEK
•The International #1 iPad Book App
•Bronze Medal Winner: Lovie Award for Best Tablet App, Education & Reference
•FWA Mobile of The Day (MOTD) Award
•Shortlisted, FUTUREBOOK AWARD
•Selected one of USA Today’s “10 Coolest Book Apps for Fall”
Journey to the Exoplanets is a groundbreaking hands-on introduction to the distant planets that continue to be discovered outside our Solar System. This app lets you:
- VIEW OVER ONE HUNDRED STUNNING IMAGES: From Hugo-award-winning illustrator Ron Miller
- VISIT THE SURFACES OF EXOPLANETS: Use your iPad’s accelerometer or gyroscope control to get a panoramic look around an exoplanet’s surface, as if you are really there.
- PLANET BUILDER: Create your own exoplanet with the 3D Planet Builder feature.
- FILTERING STARLIGHT: See how different types of stars change the appearance of plants on exoplanets with the Filtering Starlight feature.
- STARS IN 3D: Interact with the 3D Star feature, which shows twenty stars within fourteen light years from the Sun.
- PINCH AND ZOOM: Zoom in on the planets in the Exoplanets Gallery.
- AUDIO TOUR GUIDE: Listen to commentary from astrobiologist Caleb A. Scharf as you interact with the images in the Exoplanets Gallery.
- GUIDED TOUR: Learn all about exoplanets with Scientific American Contributing Art Director Edward Bell.
- TIMELINE: Take a journey through the multi-touch timeline of key discoveries in the history of astronomy.
- SIZE CHART: Compare and contrast the size of different exoplanets in the Planet Size Chart.
- LITTLE SCIENTIST: Try out basic astronomy experiments.
- EXPERT VIEWS: Read essays and a Q&A from planetary experts including Lawrence Krauss, Jim Kasting, Sara Seager, and Scientific American’s John Matson
- READ A FOREWORD AND WATCH A VIDEO INTRO: From Scientific American Editor-in-Chief, Mariette DiChristina.
- AND MUCH, MUCH MORE
Provides science buffs, space art enthusiasts, backyard astronomers, and young adults with an extraordinarily rich experience. Until we figure out teleportation and hyperdrive, Journey to the Exoplanets is the next best thing to being there.
“E]xtends beyond beauty and visuals to conceptual tools that allow users to play with the very principles of ‘planet building’…” -- Greg Bear, Tor.com
“An out-of-this-world pick for its wealth of information, rich media and interactive projects for budding astronomers.” —Marc Saltzman, USA Today
“Journey to the Exoplanets turns your iPad into a starship. What an amazing app!” —Allen Steele, award-winning author of Coyote and Hex
“[T]akes exoplanets out of the realm of fuzzy dots on your screen and into mind-blowing images territory. . . .” —Gizmodo
“Journey to the Exoplanets has many features to captivate audiences of all ages and skill levels.” —Astrobiology magazine