From the Developer
The Fry 1000 Instant Words are a list of the most common words used for teaching reading, writing, and spelling.
These high frequency words should be recognized instantly by readers.
Dr. Edward B. Fry's Instant Words (which are often referred to as the "Fry Words") are the most common words used in English ranked in order of frequency.
In 1996, Dr. Fry expanded on Dolch's sight word lists and research and published a book titled "Fry 1000 Instant Words." In his research, Dr. Fry found the following results:
25 words make up approximately 1/3 of all items published.
100 words comprise approximately 1/2 of all of the words found in publications.
300 words make up approximately 65% of all written material.
To make learning the Fry Words fun, simple, and easy, we have broken all 1,000 Fry words into unique sets of 10 words each.
Why Fry Words from Alligator Apps? We believe that educational apps should be ridiculously fun, immensely educational, and affordable for all.
- Add your own cards - you can add an unlimited number of new words and record your own voice
- Add new lists - you can add and group flash cards into customizable lists which is ideal for learning
- Fun & engaging voice artist keeps kids engaged
- The application works both in portrait and landscape mode
- 5 unique game modes from easy (2 words only) to challenging (6 words per page)
- Fully customizable font size, font color, spelling (upper case, lower case, etc.)
- Unique continuous looping feature so you can go through hundreds of flashcards automatically
- Customizable speed - you decide how fast to go from flashcard to flashcard
- Infant mode - includes ability to select extra large font size and red font color (ideal for babies less than 12 months of age)
- Don't want to teach a given word? No problem, just delete the card
- Multi-sensory learning tool - combining audio, voice, and written words