ExplorArt Klee – The Art of Paul Klee, for Kids
Paul Klee might not be an artist that you have considered covering in the classroom. This superb app makes it clear that you should.
Some artists have become classroom staples for primary school art lessons. Seurat and Mondrian are popular because their artwork has an aspect that, superficially at least, is easy to understand. Children, regardless of their own artistic confidence, feel that there is an access point to trying to emulate the styles they see.
Classrooms should also welcome Paul Klee to their art lessons. This Swiss artist's style also has an accessibility, despite the depth and complexity, that gives his work a place on the walls of the world's art galleries.
To this, the art teacher should also factor in this app. It is an introduction to the artist's work in a way that makes interactions and content almost seamless. Everything in the app is constructed using Klee's work and style and then animated in a way that works beautifully.
It is all very well polished and every screen transition, animation, and sound effect seem to be done just right. The depths within the works of art are revealed through them.
If there are any criticisms to make of the app it is that, occasionally, it can feel like you are hunting for the hotspots to trigger interactions. On the one hand, this encourages experimentation but on the other, each tap that does not illicit a response is a little disappointing. This is a small flaw, though.
The app would be a great way for a teacher to introduce and support a unit of work based on Paul Klee's work. It is also a wonderful source of inspiration for talking points and lessons. It could even become part of some cross-curricular work. How the veins of a leaf define the shape of a leaf and their similarity to trees, can cross to science lessons. For music lessons, the strong link between this artist's work and music belie his talent with a violin. It isn't explicitly said so in the app, but it also touches on fractals for maths lessons.
Then, of course, there is the art itself. The simple shapes, their textures, and how they are arranged in Klee's art can be the inspiration for children's own work. The more complex parts also let the artistically-gifted stretch themselves and their ideas.
This app doesn't present all of this on a plate to teachers. Some extra reading, some planning and resource creation will also be required. But it is a solid core around which to build. Presented on a class display and then interacted with by the children, it will certainly encourage interest.
This is a difficult app to categorise. Essentially it is an art e-book but it is much more too. It is an inspiration. A rare child-friendly look at artwork in depth. The one category in which it does fit easily is that of a 5-star app.
From the Developer
Jump into the mind of Paul Klee with ExplorArt Klee!
This beautifully designed interactive picture book introduces kids to the dreamlike works of the 20th century Swiss-German master. Paul Klee’s art pieces come alive, becoming enchanted animated scenes that children can explore inspired by their own free imagination and creativity.
**Featured on Apple.com “New Apps we love” and “New Kids Apps we love” in more than 70 countries
**Winner of Children's Technology Review Editor's Choice Award 2016 for Excellence in Design
**Certified by Educational App Store (5 stars)
**Top Pick by Best Apps for Kids (5 stars)
**Best Pick by Common Sense Media
**Top Pick by Geeks with Juniors “This gorgeous app introduces kids to the art of Paul Klee”
**Best Pick by The Iphone Mom (5 stars)
**Top rating App by The iMum (5 stars)
**Top Pick by Smart Apps for Kids
**Top rating by Best Kids Apps “This award winning app is enticing from the moment you open it. It’s a truly magical introduction to the artist.”
**Best rating app by Moms with Apps
**Top 10 Apps for Kids in 2016 Mamamò
**Top 3 Best Apps for Art Teachers in 2016 Children’s Technology Review
**Nominated for KAPI Award 2016
**Top rating by American School Library Journal “The overall experience is soothing and whimsical—a thoroughly delightful introduction to a complex artist”
A MAGICAL JOURNEY ON PK, THE PLANET THAT CAME TO LIFE THANKS TO PAUL KLEE’S ART WORKS!
Upon opening the app, users are greeted by a young boy, Cice, and Ku, his cat assistant, two playful friends that will serve as guides to PK planet, a very special place that came to life thanks to the works of the great artist.
Favouring discovery over instruction, the app intuitively invites viewers to tap the screen to create their own experiences. Six interactive versions of significant Klee works are presented and each one has a different activity: some scenes emphasize shape and dimension, while others encourage awareness of music and motion. The gentle soundtrack provides a pleasant ambiance that encourages kids to linger and explore.
Meet Cice and Ku, start the journey, dive into Klee’s art pieces and explore his art! Let your imagination fly high on the wings of creativity!
BRING ART TO LIFE!
You will be able to play directly with Paul Klee’s paintings:
• Explore the magic atmosphere of the beautiful “Landscape with Yellow Birds”
• Get dreamy in the incredible “Dream Town”
• Build your own wonderful “Castle and Sun”
• Have fun playing the surprising “Twittering Machine”
• Get to know the laughter masters, the fun puppets that Klee created for his son out of recycled materials
• And much more!
• 6 paintings by Paul Klee, animated and interactive: (“Crucifers and Spiral Flowers”, “Landscape with Yellow Birds”, “Castle and Sun”, “Dream Town”, “Fugue in Red”, “Twittering Machine”)
• Interactive puppet theatre
• Beautiful hand-drawn illustrations by artist Liza Schiavi
• Charming old fashioned 2D animation
• Original acoustic music (composed applying Gordon’s Music Learning Theory)
• Interactive map of “PK planet” to navigate through the art pieces
• Supplementary Units with in-depth information and workshop activity proposals
• Kid-in-control approach, with no gamification (no objectives and rewards, no levels, no rights/wrongs!)
• Suitable to several age ranges, due to multi-level structured contents: younger kids will be able to follow the story with the “read to me” option, while older kids will be able to appreciate additional historical information and some levels of conceptual depth of the contents.
• Easy switch between 5 languages directly inside the app, no narrative interruption
• Voice-over option
• Complete index with all the pages to easily reach desired contents
• No third-party advertising
• No in-app purchases
Lapisly is a Digital Publishing House specialized in creating Art Appbooks for Children. In collaboration with Ware's Me - Apps for Kids.