Codea is is a software development tool that includes resources to teach kids to program in the Lua programming language. Kids familiar with programming can pick it up and pretty quickly start writing their own programs, like games or other graphics.
From the Developer
Codea is an app that has been tried, tested and approved by the experts at Wired and Gizmodo. That's big news.
The app lets you create games, simulations and any other visuals that you have in mind.The app is extremely easy to use because you only have to touch and tap the code in order to have a series of options for the colours/images or styles.
Codea is built on the Lua programming language. A simple, elegant language that doesn't rely too much on symbols — a perfect match for iPad.
The list of Features includes:
• A full featured vector graphics and image renderer lets you prototype what you can imagine
• Many examples of projects that show how others are using Codea to create.
• Generation of retro-game sound effects to bring the images alive.
• Complete in-line reference documentation accessible from the keyboard
• Import your own assets from Dropbox, photos, and more
• A fully featured physics engine for complex motion
• Add parameters to your simulation or game interface so you can tweak variables at runtime
• Video recording: Record videos of your projects and share them!
• Codea renders your code with beautiful syntax highlighting and 3D graphics.
• Fullapp store apps can be made with Codea.
• GLSL Shader Language support with built-in shader editor.
• Full support for the new iPad Retina display.